Video / Quick Facts: Global Tea Consumption
Quick Facts: Global Tea Consumption
By: Euromonitor Research August 15, 2017
More fun facts about global tea consumption:
- The world consumed 2.9 million tonnes of tea in 2016, up from 1.6 in 2002. Global consumption of tea is forecast to reach 3.3 million tonnes in 2021.
- More than half of global tea consumption comes from Asia.
- In 2021, global consumption of coffee (6.2 million tonnes) will almost be double that of tea (3.3 million tonnes).
- In 2016-2021 global consumption of tea will grow at 15% while coffee consumption will grow at 11.3%.
- The top three markets for tea consumption are China, India and Pakistan.
- In 2016, the UK represented the seventh largest tea market in terms of consumption. It was the fifth in 2002.
- Consumption of tea in the UK declined from 110.6 thousand tonnes in 2002 to 89.8 thousand tonnes in 2016.
- Consumption of tea in the UK declined by -18.8% in the UK in 2002-2016, which corresponds to -20.7 thousand tonnes consumed in that period.
- In 2021, coffee consumption in the UK will reach 91.1 thousand tonnes, overtaking tea (90.6 thousand).
- The top three markets for tea by per capita consumption are: Turkey, Ireland and UAE.
- The UK is the fourth largest market for per capita tea consumption. It was the second in 2002.
- Per capita consumption of tea in the UK declined from 1.9 kg in 2002 to 1.4 in 2016.