Articles / #DidYouKnow: Fun Facts for World Statistics Day 2017
#DidYouKnow: Fun Facts for World Statistics Day 2017
By: Euromonitor Research October 20, 2017
Today is World Statistics Day and we just had to celebrate! Here are some of our researchers’ favorite fun facts from Passport:
- Hong Kong consumes the most eggs per capita at 20.4 kg per ‘000 population as of 2016.
- The popular honeymoon destination of the Maldives has the highest divorce rate in the world at 10.2 per 1,000 population in 2016.
- The number of babies/infants (aged 0-2) in India in 2016 was equivalent to the entire population of Thailand.
- In 2016, Mexicans consumed the most Cola carbonates globally with 100.2 litres per capita. This represents 285 cans of 350ml per person per year.
- In 2016, each Brazilian consumed on average 61 litres of beer. This is 33% more than the level of bottled water consumed in the same year.
- Argentines consume the most sweet biscuits globally in per capita terms with 8.4 kgs in 2016.
- 71% of digital purchases in China will be made on a mobile device in 2017.
- Per capita spend on luxury eyewear in Canada was USD26.6 in 2016; this is the same as per capita spend on toilet paper in Ireland.
- Australia has some of the most expensive cigarettes in the world. In 2016, the unit price of cigarettes was US$0.67/stick, 5.6 times higher than the global average.
- iPhone dominated smartphone sales in Japan in 2017 with 54% of the market.