As countries around the world celebrate Saint Patrick’s Day this weekend, Euromonitor shares some fun facts on Ireland’s most popular alcoholic drinks products including Irish whiskey and the most infamous Irish beer, Guinness!
1) Ireland is only Guinness’s third biggest market by volume behind the UK and Nigeria.
2) The Czech Republic beat Ireland as the country that consumes the most beer per capita in 2011 with 144 litres per capita. Consumers in Ireland only drank 111.4 litres per capita.
3) Although Guinness is Ireland’s most popular beer by far, its share of beer dipped under 27% in 2011, while Heineken gained share.
4) According to Heineken, almost 100% of Irish pubs serve Heineken on draft. Distribution for Guinness is around 90%.
5) Top five markets by volume for Irish whiskey in 2011 are:
4. United Kingdom
5. South Africa